• Social Security & Housing Finance Corporation
  • 61 Ecowas Ave, Banjul
  • (+220) 422-2271



Employees in full time employment in an organization registerable and recognized as a member institution of the pension scheme qualify for membership to the scheme. Employees are required to complete a prescribed registration form SS1. This form should be accompanied with the following key documentation:

• A passport size photograph;
• A copy of documentary evidence of birth (a Birth Certificate, National Identification Card or an Alkalo’s Attestation);

Paramount in the information that is requested for inclusion in the registration form are Full Name, Date of Birth, Date of Employment, Date of admission into the scheme, Gross and Annual Salary.

get stared


The Injuries Compensation Act was passed into law in June 1990 but it was only in July 1996 that the new scheme was formally put into effect.

Act establishing the IICF applies to all employers and employees in:

• Government
• Public enterprises
• Private sector
• Local Government authorities

Casual workers on piece meal contracts
Domestic workers
Members of employers family dwelling in employers house
Out workers
The military
Under the IICF, the Act requires employers to pay the entire contribution each month on behalf of their workers.

At present the contribution rate is 1% of total earnings; that is to say basic salary plus all other fixed allowances subject to a maximum contribution ceiling of D15.

SSHFC and the Labour Department are the main administrators of the scheme with the Social Welfare and Medical and Health Department providing specialist support services.
All Employers mentioned above must ensure that all their workers are covered under the scheme including those who are above the statutory retirement age of 60 years.

An employee who is not registered with the scheme and is involved in an accident can claim for injury compensation but, will have to formalize his/her membership with the scheme first.
When a claim is required the injured worker or his supervisor reports the accident to the employer although there is nothing stopping him from reporting an injury directly to the commissioner of injuries. The employer is responsible for reporting the accident to the commissioner of injuries at the Department of Labour.